Tuesday 16 October 2012

Volunteers in faraway places

This is just a little shout out to the volunteers who are based in the regions of Fiji - Lebasa, Lautoka, Savu Savu, Levuka and elsewhere!

Had a chat this morning with one of our volunteers in Lebasa and was reminded that the Suva life is pretty darn fantastic!! We can eat pretty much whatever we want and we have the cinema with cheap pick'n'mix. 

I mention the food related pros of Suva life in particular, because my fellow volunteer made a point of saying she can't always get staples, let alone fancy newfangled foods where she is based. And where she lives - well there is a main street and one or two restaurants, but that is pretty much it! It can be quite isolating as well, with only a few volunteers based in these towns and the conditions can sometimes be quite challenging. I spent a year in China hand washing my clothes - happy to never have to do that again!! 

I have therefore promised many care packages and must make more of an effort to check in with her. 

And as an aside, I really like living in Suva. It may be small, but it packs a punch in terms of value in relation to its smallness. Can I mention the cinema again? Go Village 6 and your pick'n'mix selection!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment